Wednesday, June 10, 2020

June 1 - Update from Desiree

I have not updated Facebook for a long time... I have not sent hand written Thank You notes... I have not written in a journal... I have not responded to many text messages... I have been at capacity, to say the least, as wife, mama, caregiver, plant-based beginner chef, home manager, and of course, "Mom-ster" ("Mommy, you be a monster and chase us around infinity times!"...(sigh)..."Yes, little loves, here I come!") However I muster up the courage and energy to write this update today on behalf of my beloved husband... as his helpmate, his voice, his strength, when he cannot. As Aaron and Hur held up Moses' arms when he grew tired, in order to win a battle. (Exodus 17 - what a cool story!). If you've even just met Ryan, you immediately love him. Since his diagnosis in January, Ryan has been working extremely hard on his healing journey from stage 4 adrenal cortical cancer. Unfortunately, our "Plan A" treatment regimen alone, has not been successful. Blood tests, another scan, general poor health, and a grim, frightening conversation with his oncologist, have confirmed that we need to move on to another plan immediately. After praying and seeking advice, we decided to pursue a treatment in Salt Lake City for 3 months - "Plan B". Ryan was in pretty bad shape going out there. He had been bed ridden for days prior, was on morphine for extreme abdominal pain, and his parents wheeled him through the airport. My heart hurt so deeply to send him off and see him like that - our once strong SuperMan, now so frail and somber. Ryan has been in Salt Lake City for a week now undergoing intense, multiple hours-long treatment, every day - 7 days/week! His parents and my father are there with him and report that while still in pain, Ryan is experiencing tiny improvements each day! Praise the Lord for small evidences of grace! We all believe that he is in the right place, at the right time, with the right team around him. (My dad joked that Ryan died and went to the "other place" based on who his 3 new roommates are! Strong motivation to get well and get home!) The kids and I are at home and miss Daddy terribly, but feel at peace that he, and we, are where we all should be right now. We are each doing the work God is calling us to do for this time. And I truly feel the Lord is holding us and sustaining me daily- my energy and health - and I have a wonderful, strong support team around me. In addition to his treatment in SLC, the rare opportunity opened up (talk about God opening doors for us to walk through!) for Ryan to be treated by a doctor (the Guru in this type of treatment) in Texas next week. So Ryan and his entourage will be going to Texas for a week, then back to SLC. This trip and additional treatment, bring me to the reason for my update and request today. We are so grateful and humbled for the financial gifts we've been given this far! THANK YOU! Between his hospitalization, scans, supplements, alternative treatments (not approved or covered by insurance), and this Plan B treatment in SLC, we have used these funds wisely for Ryan's care. However, we would like to ASK for help again. Additional funds will cover this upcoming trip to Texas including the treatment, as well as any further treatment ("Plan C") if needed. Praying we won't get to Plan C! Additionally, our most pressing ASK is for prayer. Some may say, "I wish I could do more", but honestly, as Rev. Billy Graham said, "praying for someone is the equivalent of offering a starving man food." It's the BEST we can offer someone. "Praying unlocks the doors of heaven and releases the power of God." So THANK YOU in advance for joining me in lifting up my husband, praying for Ryan's healing and for the restoration of our own Superman. Now if you'll excuse me... Momster is being called. xoxo Team Vorhees, Desiree, Jaxon, Wyatt, & Roseleigh

1 comment:

  1. Hey Desiree - you don't know me but I used to work for Ryan at Bath Planet. I've been trying to keep up with his health situation but I'm out of the loop. Please know that my love and prayers are with you all. Ryan is such a special man. He believed in me when I didn't believe in myself. He has such a special place in my heart.

    ReplyDelete